Lesson : Diversity in Britain: Save Our Jack
This lesson, in the form of a simple story, is about the factors that make a community successful and happy—including acceptance, tolerance, respect—and how the different cultural communities in Great Britain make a positive contribution.
Cross-curricular links: Geography
- Discussing what flags are for: if you had a school flag, what would it look like?
- Discussing the origins of the Union Jack and the countries that make up the United Kingdom
- Discussing the origins of different people in class and the positive contributions all the different cultures have made
- Writing a description of the UK for someone who has never been here
- Compiling a list of things the children are proud of about Britain, and things they would change